Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Big Hand For Adele!



Guess who turned 23 yesterday? Now it's our turn to make her cry happy tears by singing ♫♪ Happy Birthday ♪♫♪ after making us confront our pent-up pain with her soulful songs like "Someone Like You", among others. Masochist or not, you can't possibly deny how incredibly amazing her voice sounds!




Nabbed from her Facebook fanpage.


On top of her songwriting, instrument-playing and singing gifts, she graces this world with unapologetic confidence and self-acceptance. In spite of the flood of insults and disapproval that most people felt licensed to express on YouTube and other virtual niches (see photos below), she remains undaunted and positive. How refreshing and inspiring!






Photos grabbed from here.


I admit such comments got into my nerves, prompting me to post pissed tweet after tweet. How come some people find those excess pounds distracting and forget the bottomless raw talent in front of them? And so what if she were big? What's the big deal?



Before I could forget to breathe in and breathe out, I found her statement on the recent issue of the Rolling Stone:




In the ♪♪Cover of the Rolling Stone ♪♫♪


"My life is full of drama and I won't have time to worry about something as petty as what I look like. I don't like going to the gym. I like eating fine foods and drinking nice wine. Even if I had a really good figure, I don't think I'd get my tits and ass out for no one.

"I love seeing Lady Gaga's boobs and bum. I love seeing Katy Perry's boobs and bum. Love it. But that's not what my music is about. I don't make music for eyes. I make music for ears."


Although I would have to argue that Adele has this to-die-for classic beauty and carefree, head-turning "shabby chic" fashion style, I laud the fact that she's one artist who refuse to invest in manufactured public image or show up scantily-clad in her music videos or live performances to gain attention. After all, she doesn't sell entertainment. She makes us all sit down, recollect an unbearable memory and, hopefully, do something about it. I call it therapy. How about you?




Lifted from Adele's Facebook fanpage.


Before I conclude this entry, I'm leaving you with what's been on repeat mode for weeks now, much to my youngest brother's chagrin. And...nobody leaves until this fat lady sings!





14 comments:

  1. I looove Adele. Her songs make me cry. I also admire her self-confidence in the midst of anorexic-looking artists that dominate the media. Can't wait for her next album!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big, big, big (no pun intended) of Adele. "Chasing Pavements" started it all, and now I'm loving her album 21. Have you listened to "One & Only" or her cover of The Cure's "Love Song"? Favorites of mine!

    Happy birthday Adele! You're an inspiration for being true to your music and loving who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, you should have seen how teary-eyed I was after hearing "Someone Like You" the first time. Grabe! So powerful vocals! Out na ang "21"!

    Kat, I love "Love Song"! I'm currently listening to "One & Only". Ibang level talaga!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susme, araw-araw kong pinapakinggan ang 21. I like it better than 19. :) Panalo rin ang YouTube videos nya of her live performances. 'Yung iba mas nakakaiyak kaysa sa studio version. Can't get enough of this gal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her talent is very impressive and I'm so happy that she's proud of what she is and what she has. Her song "Rolling in the Deep" keeps me sane through this ordeal of mine. I love Adele, I'm so glad I stumbled upon her music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I do favor the live ones nga on YouTube vs. the actual music videos. She's sooo phenomenal! I'd kill to watch her live!

    Atong, pareho pala kayong Taurean! Woohoo! Anyway, THAT dude deserves some kicking. I-Muay Thai mo nga! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a fan too..love her cover shot at RStone-vannie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not the typical demographic, for sure, but I'm a huge Adele fan now. I have both "19" and "21". Her music is amazing.

    Who gives a shit what she looks like? Her songs are, well, like music to my ears!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vannie! What a coincidence! I unearthed a Norway postcard from you saying my size is just pre-teens over there. Take me out for shopping! Hahaha! Anyway, I didn't know you're a huge fan, too. That's great!

    Larry, I know! Soulful and powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I first discovered her through SYTYCD. They danced to the tune of "Hometown". Loved it ever since and listened to all of her songs!

    Adele has a gorgeous voice and face!
    We love her because of her music. Nuff said. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing artist.. and so sad that there are people who exist at all who would rather focus on her weight- which is a ridiculous thing to care about to begin with- than her amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yvie, NOW I know what SYTYCD stands for. Ha! =P

    Me, too, Fris! \m/

    Heather, I so agree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Mars this is the dance I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi37PIFWES0 ;)

    ReplyDelete